Structured like a David Letterman countdown, [Gloria] Steinem’s list of benefits to men included the following:
10. Through feminism, men are liberated from stereotypes, too.
9. Women’s skills are required to raise children. But, men have them too.
8. Men have been shortchanged by being told to marry someone who can cook rather than someone who can be a companion. “I’m sure that men who have been trained essentially to marry their housekeepers were lonely,” Steinem said.
7. The women’s movement can increase a man’s life by an average of four years. Steinem said that if men were to eliminate causes of death typically attributed to masculine roles, including deaths from violence, speeding and tension-related disease, their life expectancy would almost equal women’s. [Lighthouse adds: not to mention dangerous workplaces which are over-represented by men]
6. Boys can remain close to their mothers. [Lighthouse adds: not sure about this one, many hyper-masculine men are close to their mothers. It does however encourage respect and reverence for women]
5. If men aren’t hooked on dominance and hierarchy with other men, they are saved from the self-loathing that comes from the need for control.
4. Laughter can once again become commonplace, even in serious rituals. “In ancient cultures like Wilma’s, seriousness and laughter are not separate,” said Steinem.
3. Men can continue discovering talents, without being divorced from them.
2. Sex and race are intertwined. You can’t uproot one without the other. “There’s really no such thing as being a feminist without being an anti‑racist,” she said.
1. Eliminating the sexual caste system – the cult of femininity and masculinity – eliminates the root cause of almost all violence.